Center for Healthcare Education
4000 Park Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06604
The Communication Disorders Online Prerequisite Series (CMD-OPS) at Sacred Heart University prepares students who have earned Bachelor’s degrees in other fields to apply for admission to graduate programs in Speech-Language Pathology (SLP), at SHU and/or other universities.
Completion of the CMD-OPS does NOT guarantee acceptance into the SHU SLP Master’s program. Students should research the admissions requirements of all the graduate programs to which they are applying. For instance, in the case of SHU's SLP Graduate program:
- No more than 6 credits of Communication Disorders prerequisite courses may be taken prior to applying for the 3-year track.
- No more than one Communication Disorders prerequisite course may be repeated by any applicant (2- or 3-year tracks).
Students in the CMD-OPS who wish to apply to the SHU SLP Master’s program must complete the normal application process and will be considered equally with all other applicants.
Why enter this program?
To work as a speech-language pathologist, a Master’s degree and clinical certification by are required. If you are interested in applying for an SLP Master’s degree program, but have a Bachelor’s degree in another field, a series of prerequisite undergraduate courses in Communication Disorders, as well as five courses in the basic sciences一道本不卡免费高清, are necessary. The CMD-OPS allows post-baccalaureate students to complete these prerequisite courses online.
How is the program set up?
一道本不卡免费高清The CMD-OPS is designed for post-baccalaureate students only; that is, students who have already earned a Bachelor’s degree in an area other than SLP/Communication Disorders. This is not a degree program, but a series of prerequisite courses for application to Master’s degree programs in SLP. Therefore, CMD-OPS students register and enroll at SHU as non-matriculated (non-degree-seeking) students. Because it is not a degree program, CMD-OPS students will not qualify for federal financial aid; however, private sources may be available. is a good place to start looking for private loans.
This program is designed for part-time enrollment, with two courses offered per semester over four semesters for a total of eight courses. The most efficient way to complete the series is to start in a summer semester and continue with two classes per term through the following summer (one year of study). This allows for application to SLP Master’s programs in the winter and, if accepted, enrollment in the fall after completing the CMD-OPS.
It is also possible to start the CMD-OPS any semester, take one or both courses offered, and enroll only in the semesters during which you choose to study.
The courses are run through Blackboard, the university's course management system. The courses are asynchronous, meaning you work independently through modules, submitting work on regularly scheduled due dates. You do not have to login on specific days or times. Once you enroll, you will receive a user name and password to access Blackboard. Need help? Check out SHU's or contact Technical Support (The Factory).
The following undergraduate courses are offered in the CMD-OPS:
|Summer year 1*||CMD 210 Phonetics|
|CMD 300 Anatomy & Physiology of Speech, Hearing, and Swallowing|
|Fall||CMD 320 Speech Science|
|CMD 330 Language Development|
|Spring||CMD 200 Introduction to Communication Disorders|
|CMD 310 Introduction to Audiology and Hearing Science|
|Summer year 2*||CMD 340 Neuroanatomy of Speech, Hearing, and Swallowing|
|CMD 350 Introduction to Clinical Methods and Observation|
*All summer courses offered every summer. Summer courses span the Summer 1-2 terms.
Do I qualify?
To be admitted to courses in the CMD-OPS, you must submit (via official or unofficial transcript):
- Proof of a completed Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, in any discipline.
- Proof of at least a 3.0 overall GPA in your Bachelor’s degree.
How do I apply?
- Visit the SHU Undergraduate Academic Calendar to find the start date of the course/s you wish to take.
- Submit your unofficial or official undergraduate transcript/s via email to CMD-OPS@claudiospianobar.com. Please put "CMD-OPS transcript" in the subject line.
- Your transcripts will be reviewed and, if approved to register, you will receive instructions for how to enroll.
What is the cost?
Students pay Part-time Undergraduate Tuition.
In order to qualify for application to Master’s programs in SLP, you must also have completed five, basic science courses (at least 3 credits each course) required by ASHA:
- A course in Biological Sciences (e.g., BI 103, BI 111)
- A course in Physical Sciences (e.g., PY 103, CH 120)
- Statistics (e.g., MA 131)
- Two courses in Social/Behavioral Sciences (e.g., PS 110, PS 252 -required for SHU's graduate program)
You may have already completed these as part of your Bachelor's degree; however, it is possible to take them while you are completing the CMD-OPS. Most SLP graduate programs require that you have completed these courses to be considered for admission. Be sure to check the specific requirements of all graduate programs you are applying for.
Options for these courses are offered online at SHU (look for sections ending in -O):
- BI 103 The Human Body
- OR BI 111 Concepts in Biology (3 CR)
- MA 131 Elementary Statistics
- PS 110 Introduction to Psychology
- PS 252 Child Development Psychology (Note: PS 252 is required for the SLP graduate program at SHU).
- PY 103 Physics of Sound was designed for SLP students and is recommended. This course is offered online every fall semester.
- CH 120 Drugs and their implications is frequently offered online.