This position gives students leadership opportunities to help new students and their families transition to the different areas of college life.
Applications available February 11 in the Student Life Office!
- Familiarize new students with the campus environment and the services offered by on-campus resources. This is accomplished by attending special programs and leading interactive events with new students during the orientation process.
- Welcome and provide new students and their parents with answers to questions about campus life or concerns regarding the transition they may be experiencing.
- Foster a sense of belonging to the SHU community; promoting a positive attitude towards SHU in the new students and building their confidence in their new role as a SHU student.
- Learn about yourselves, one another and the leadership responsibilities of the upper-class role while making the experience fun for all involved.
- To work hard in completing specific duties assigned by the Orientation Chairs and the Orientation Coordinators.
- Motivate and encourage the participation among all new students in the orientation process.
- Teaching new students about how Sacred Heart University works, and assist them in becoming involved in the academic and co-curricular life of the college.
- Perform all responsibilities in a punctual, reliable, candid and conscientious manner.
- Full-time undergraduate student for the 2019-2020 academic year
- Minimum 2.7 GPA Fall ’18 & Cumulative
- Cannot have conflicts such as Resident Success Assistant, Student Union Manager or other Pre-Fall events
- Positive attitude about Sacred Heart University
- Good standing with the University Conduct Code
- Strong personal sense of responsibility
- Must be eager to improve leadership and teamwork skills
- Prior to Orientation Training in June, you must have completed the Sexual Misconduct Prevention Training session hosted by Sacred Heart University.
- Attend ALL training workshops, staff meetings or other meetings as assigned by Orientation Chairs or Orientation Coordinators.
- To serve as an ambassador of Sacred Heart University, providing a professional attitude with tactful responses.
- Manage all personal public programs such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat or other online journals, instant messages and profiles, to adhere to the University’s Mission Statement.
- As an official representative of Sacred Heart University, we request the removal of all references (including posts, photos, Snapchat and Snapchat stories, and memberships in groups) to excessive alcohol use, illegal drug use, offensive language or questionable behavior.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Welcome new students and families upon their arrival to Sacred Heart University.
- Prepare all welcome signs, bulletin boards, nametags, information packets, bags and other materials.
- Serve as an information source to new students and parents.
- Assist with Parent Orientation.
- Responsible for students in the orientation group during the two-day, overnight orientation
- Work together to ensure all Orientation aspects are successful.
- Give campus tours to new students and parents.
- Work all events during Orientation including Overnights, New Student Orientations Pre-Fall and Welcome Days.
- Return early to prepare for Pre-Fall, Welcome Days and FYE Assistant training.
- Handle other projects as requested by the Associate Dean of Students, Coordinator of Student Life Programs and Orientation Leader Chairs and Coordinators.
FYE Assistant Job Responsibilities
- Work with first year students in the First Year Experience class alongside a SHU Staff member.
- Classes are offered at 2pm and 3pm on Wednesdays for the first 8 weeks of the fall semester. Please keep this in mind when registering for classes.
- Introduce new students to all campus resources and be available to answer questions.
- Help to facilitate conversation as well as activities in the classroom.
- Encourage involvement in all events and organizations and refrain from promoting individual clubs.
- Responsible for one-on-one meeting with students in the class.
- Bi-weekly updates to be placed in Mapworks
- FYE assistant training will be completed during OL training the week of August 19.
Orientation Leader Mandatory Dates
April 4, 2019
Contract Signing at 2PM (Location TBA)
一道本不卡免费高清June 3 - 19, 2019
June 10-11, 2019
June 13-14, 2019
June 17-18, 2019
June 20 & August 23, 2019
一道本不卡免费高清New Student Orientations
August 18, 2019
Pre-Fall/Early Arrival Move-in
一道本不卡免费高清August 19 - 27, 2019
Pre-Fall/Welcome Days and FYE Training
August 26 - October 31, 2019
January 9, 2020
New Student Orientation
Students selected will be required to forgo all other summer employment/participation in organizations and taking classes during Training and Overnight Orientations from June 3- 19 and during Welcome Days from August 18 – 27.
You will be staying on-campus for the entire duration of training, orientations and Welcome Days.一道本不卡免费高清 You will need to be available for the entire time period during Pre-Fall/Welcome Days. You must make a full commitment to being an Orientation Leader.
FYE Assistant position begins August 26, 2019 and ends October 31, 2019.
If you have any questions, contact Katie Morovich, Coordinator of Student Life Programs, at 203-396-8071 or email@example.com.