- Completed online application (available December 1st at www.claudiospianobar.com/precollege)
- Recommendation form completed by guidance counselor or teacher
- Official high school transcript
High school students in good academic and disciplinary standing who will be juniors or seniors during the 2020-2021 academic year.
一道本不卡免费高清 $3,100 includes tuition (three credits), housing, all meals, class field trips, course materials, co-curricular student success workshops, and social activities.
Cost does not include the cost to travel to and from Sacred Heart University.
Teaching and Learning Practicum for Aspiring Educators
一道本不卡免费高清Are you interested in becoming a teacher? Do you believe in the promise of opportunity for all children? Aspiring educators, and those interested in working with elementary and middle school-aged children, will gain practical experience working with children, under the guidance of master teachers and the support of graduate students in Sacred Heart University’s Farrington College of Education (FCE). Working collaboratively with staff, teachers and graduate students, participants will actively deliver a summer-based education program called Horizons at Sacred Heart University.
is a tuition-free, non-profit, academic enrichment program serving low- income Bridgeport students in kindergarten through 8th grade. The program makes a minimum 12-year commitment to its students when they enter kindergarten. The continuity that this multi-year and multi- faceted commitment offers is how the program makes its greatest impact and change the life trajectories of our students.
一道本不卡免费高清Enrolled students can expect to participate in both instructional delivery and enrichment activities both on-and off-campus while exploring best practices in education. Students will reflect, under the supervision of faculty, upon the instructional experiences they are gaining. As a culminating experience, each participant will develop their own initial philosophy of teaching.
In the 21st century, every company has become a media and communications company, which means that creative production skills are not only essential to securing the most coveted jobs in the media, entertainment, and communications industries, but are also attractive to employers across job sectors.
一道本不卡免费高清Students will learn a broad range of media production techniques from dedicated professors and accomplished media professionals from Sacred Heart University’s School of Communication, Media and the Arts (SCMA). Course topics include website building, podcasting, photography, video/film, TV production, and Photoshop and digital portfolio creation. In addition to learning to produce projects and artifacts with more widely available technologies like smart phones, tablets, and laptops, students will utilize SCMA’s industry-standard equipment, software, labs, and production studios including:
- Custom designed newsroom/sports/talk show studio with studio cameras, teleprompters and jibs;
- Full lighting grids with built in presets for typical shooting arrangements;
- Two fully-equipped control rooms with broadcast standard equipment;
- Open floor-plan studios and sound stage with space to create custom sets;
- Large green-screen area for virtual productions;
- Post-production labs with high-end workstations;
- Motion capture and Virtual Reality lab;
- Radio and audio production suites;
- Significant inventory of industry-standard digital cinema cameras and other production equipment.
The course also features a field trip to the Museum of the Moving Image in New York City.
Pre-Health Career Exploration & Research
As healthcare is being coupled with advanced technologies to provide exceptional care to patients and to meet the rising demand for healthcare professionals, new and interesting jobs in the healthcare field are available.
一道本不卡免费高清Students considering academic study and careers in the health professions will benefit from increasing their knowledge of both the breadth and depth of career opportunities in the healthcare field and systematically approaching questions of healthcare technology, the changing needs of patients, and vocational fit. Through classroom instruction and academically- related field trips to healthcare facilities in Fairfield County, students will:
- Gain an introduction to the changing landscape of the patient population, recognizing differences in diversity, changes across the lifespan, and global access to healthcare;
- Identify the settings in which professionals in various allied health care fields work and recognize the academic preparation and credentialing necessary for a given healthcare;
- Highlight several aspects of technology used in supporting current healthcare delivery practices;
- Articulate the present-day patient population and forecasted changes to the patient population;
- Identify a variety of healthcare workplace settings, including local, state, international, not-for-profit, and private practice;
- Highlight a healthcare career of personal interest, and map the academic requirements, internship/clinical hours needed, and professional credentialing body;
- Acquire new hands-on skills through various applied learning laboratories.
Contemporary Legal Controversies, Politics and Debate
In this course, students explore, discuss and debate a wide variety of historical and contemporary Supreme Court rulings. Participants examine the legal and political dimensions of selected court rulings with an emphasis on majority and dissenting opinions. To bring cases to life, students will role play as lawyers and judges in mock Supreme Court hearings. The course will be supplemented with field trips to Superior Court in Bridgeport, the nation’s first law school in Litchfield, Connecticut, the Connecticut State Capitol, and the Connecticut Supreme Court. Legal practitioners will also visit the class to share their first-hand experiences with students.
Course instructor Gary L. Rose, Ph.D., is Professor and Chair of the Department of Government. Professor Rose is SHU’s and the state’s leading media commentator on federal, state and local politics. Selected as the Connecticut Professor of the Year in 2011, Professor Rose has published thirteen books on American government and politics. His constitutional law book, Shaping a Nation: Twenty Five Supreme Court Cases that Changed the United States (2010), was listed by the National Association of Scholars as a recommended book for universities with common reading programs.
Exploration & Research in Coding
一道本不卡免费高清Students today are familiar with advanced technological buzzwords like artificial intelligence, machine learning, deep learning, and data analytics. Whether planning a career in these fields or not, every college student and 21st century professional needs computer science skills. Although future computer scientists are welcome, this course is specially designed for those who are interested in computer science but do not necessarily envision becoming a professional coder, gamer, or software engineer.
The inherent idea in the course is that computer science is accessible to all students, not only those who have been coding since the age of five. Incorporating the proven, straightforward, and “pure fun” curricula developed by the nonprofit Code.org (http://code.org/about), participants will use a plethora of tools and programming languages to express coding approaches.
一道本不卡免费高清The course emphasizes the use of computer science to structure complex problem-solving and does not aim to teach the details of a certain programming language. Participants will create artsy computer science artifacts, including developing a game that runs on smartphones and creating a dance video/app with multimedia. Students will also gain insight into the computer science industry and the coding competitions used by employers to recruit college students. Classroom instruction will be provided with Chromebooks and other experiential computing devices at SHU’s Artificial Intelligence Lab, complemented by access to SHU’s Makerspace and visits to local industry partners.
一道本不卡免费高清To apply, fill out the form below:
Pre-College Program Inquiry Form